
Training my dogs is a considerable amount of work. It's not really that much work, a couple of hours a week, but on top of a normal work schedule, it's often difficult to find the motivation to get up off my ass and do it.
Today it finally actually visibly paid off.
My 10 month old Lab/Shepherd mix ran by my side like a champ for nearly a mile and a half tonight. It was our first run together besides those sprints we did while walking when I felt particularly energetic. Which doesn't happen often.
We've been working on loose-lead walking for about 8 months now (since I brought him home, essentially); we've been working on "heel" and "break" and "sit" and "down." Until today it was all a rehearsal, and in the performance he did superbly. So it's paying off in a more or less quantifiable way. I'm proud of him, I'm excited to see what little Breanna will do and how quickly she'll learn. I'm excited to see how far these little guys will take me.
But mostly, I'm glad I have someones to get motivated for besides me. Finally.
No comments:
Post a Comment